When you’re trying to determine which whirlpool tub is right for you, the sheer number of choices can seem overwhelming. Asking yourself these questions can help narrow down your options:
- How much space do I have?
- Where are my plumbing and electrical lines located?
- Am I prepared to perform regular maintenance?
- How often will I use my tub?
- What amenities and design features do I want?
Read on to find out more about how you can select the perfect whirlpool tub for your needs.
What Is a Whirlpool Tub?
Before we get started, let’s clarify what a whirlpool tub is. Here are a few handy definitions to help you decipher industry terminology:
- Hot tubs are large tubs capable of seating multiple people, are installed outdoors and don’t require a refill with every use. Instead, with the help of water treatment systems, they hygienically use the same water for many uses while always maintaining a constant temperature. They’re always equipped with massaging jets, and typically feature lighting and electronic controls.
- Baths belong to a broad category that includes soakers, whirlpool tubs and air baths. Unlike hot tubs, baths are installed indoors and require a refill with every use. Although some baths may be able to seat multiple people, many are intended for single- or two-person use.
- Whirlpool tubs are a type of bath that utilize a water pump and water jets to provide bathers with a relaxing massage. By comparison, soakers have no jets, while air baths utilize air jets.
Although whirlpool tubs can be slightly more difficult to maintain than soakers and air baths, many people choose to purchase whirlpool tubs due to the deeply therapeutic experience they offer: The pressure and massaging capabilities of water jets are simply unparalleled.
How to Choose the Right Whirlpool Tub
When selecting a whirlpool tub, you can quickly narrow down your options by asking yourself a few key questions.
How Much Space Do I Have?
Before you do anything else, carefully measure the space in your bathroom where you’re planning on installing your whirlpool tub. Be sure to take the tub’s full dimensions into consideration, not just the interior measurements.
Also note if you’ll want to keep any oils or candles by the tub — if so, where will you put them? On a shelf or on the edge of the tub? What about towels? Figuring out these details beforehand will make it much easier to choose a tub of an appropriate size.
Where Are My Plumbing and Electrical Lines Located?
Even if you have more than enough space to install your whirlpool tub, you also need to consider your bathroom’s current plumbing situation. Since whirlpool tubs need to be professionally hooked up to water lines, you should know ahead of time if that process will be quick and easy or if it will involve an extensive overhaul.
So, before choosing the whirlpool tub you want to buy, obtain the plumbing specifications of several models from the manufacturer and hire a plumber to tell you which models will work. Similarly, you’ll also need to consider where your electrical lines are located and if they’re powerful enough for a whirlpool tub’s needs.
Am I Prepared to Perform Regular Maintenance?
As mentioned above, whirlpool tubs require more frequent and thorough maintenance than air baths or soakers. This is because whirlpool tubs function by pulling water from the tub into their internal plumbing system to be heated and recirculated back into the tub.
This process makes it easy for their piping and jets to become dirty and clogged. To remedy this, whirlpool tubs need to be regularly flushed out with hot water and a cleaning solution.
What Amenities and Design Features Do I Want?
Once you’ve narrowed your options down to two or three whirlpool tubs, it’s time to start considering what amenities you’re after and which design features you want your tub to have.
- Do you want your tub to look elegant and classic or streamlined and contemporary?
- What color of acrylic will look the best with your bathroom decor?
- Do you want it to be equipped with LED perimeter lighting?
- What about an LED-illuminated waterfall?
- What color jets do you prefer?
After asking yourself these questions, you’ll find your decision process much easier and far less intimidating. And, no matter which whirlpool tub you settle on, the relaxation and luxury your tub will provide are sure to make it well worth your effort.