If you want the convenience and relaxation of a backyard hot tub as well as the health benefits of swimming, a swim spa is for you.
Before you purchase a swim spa, though, you likely have several key questions that need answering.
We’ve got you covered. Here, we’ll answer five of the most common questions about swim spas, so you can make the best decision for you:
- What is a swim spa?
- What are the health benefits of swimming?
- How do swim spas work?
- Do swim spas cost less than pools?
- Are swim spas worth it?
1. What Is a Swim Spa?
Swim spa machines are spas that allow the user to swim against a continuous current. Since swim spas are heated, they can also double as a regular hot tub.
So, why buy a swim spa instead of a pool?
For most people, the answer comes down to convenience. After all, swim spas take up only approximately the same space as a large hot tub, and won’t dominate your backyard.
Plus, swim spas can be installed indoors, if you have adequate space and are willing to pay for some floor modifications.
2. What Are the Health Benefits of Swimming in a Swim Spa?
To learn why swimming can be so beneficial to your health, let’s turn to a 2019 article from Harvard Medical School titled, “Dive into a swimming regimen.”
There, swimming’s many health benefits are explained, including:
- Endurance and heart health: Since swimming is a form of cardio, it makes your heart pump faster and increases your breathing rate. Over time, this helps to build endurance and heart health, all while lowering blood pressure.
- Muscle strength: Swimming is what’s known as a total-body workout. This means that all your muscles are required to swim, rather than a certain group. Swimming is also particularly fantastic for strengthening your core and back.
- Joint pain relief: The buoyancy of water takes weight off of joints. By doing so, it relieves joint pain caused by arthritis, bone injuries and other conditions.
- Increased flexibility: As you swim in the water, you’re continuously stretching your muscles. In time, you’ll start to enjoy greater flexibility and find swimming to be easier and easier.
- Reduced stress: Swimming is a repetitive exercise that requires focus on movement and breathing. This has a meditative effect, which can help to lower stress, anxiety and depression.
3. How Do Swim Spas Work?
As mentioned earlier, swim spas create a continuous current that users can swim against for an unlimited amount of time. They typically do this by pushing water with the help of a jet propulsion system.
Top-of-the-line swim spas also boast other included and optional features to enhance your experience, such as:
4. Do Swim Spas Cost Less Than Pools?
Absolutely! In fact, swim spas are generally $20,000 to $30,000 cheaper than inground swimming pools.
According to a 2019 article from HomeAdvisor titled, “How Much Does an Inground Pool Cost?,” the typical price range is $35,950 to $63,237. That comes out to an average of about $50,000.
Given that high-quality swim spas are available for as little as $7,499, it’s clear that swim spas can provide all the benefits of a swimming pool as well as a hot tub for a much lower price.
5. Are Swim Spas Worth It?
For people who want the fun, health benefits and relaxation of both a pool and hot tub without the sky-high price tag, swim spas are absolutely worth it.
You should consider buying a swim spa if you:
- Are looking for an affordable way to reap the health benefits of swimming.
- Don’t have the space or budget for a traditional pool.
- Want a swimming machine that doubles as a soothing hot tub.
In the end, it’s safe to say that swim spas are an excellent choice for anyone who wants to get in shape, relax more and stress less. What’s not to love about that?